Saturday, April 27, 2024

Barbies and bras

So Mattel has a new Kristi Yamaguchi Barbie, but it looks nothing like her. She looks like a white girl with a mole. Just like the Anna May Wong Barbie, they can't seem to get the eyes right. Why is it so hard for them? Also, why do they insist on making Asian people with a pale skin color, when lots of Asians are tan or darker? Well, at least they're actually selling the Olympics doll this time. They never sold the Chloe Kim Barbie even though that one actually looked Asian and looked like her namesake. Who designed that doll, and why the fuck can't they do all the other Asian dolls? Sigh.

Meanwhile I learned that bra sizing is different in the US vs UK. This is why some websites tell you to measure your ribcage for your bandsize, but some websites say to measure the ribcage plus add 4-5 inches to get band size. It makes a huge difference to know which system you're using; otherwise you mess up calculating your cup size. No wonder I had so much trouble figuring out my bra size! Ironically I found this out on a webpage about underwire sizing. I typically hate underwires and avoid buying those bras because they always pinch and squeeze me. But according to Erin's website, it's probably because the underwires are for a round breast shape, when I'm actually a "wide oval" breast shape. I'm going to try to see if these underwires fit me better.

I have some Jockey Realfit bras that I've removed the underwire from; maybe I can put some of Erin's France underwires in them to make them follow my curves better. I'll see when I get my delivery. I'm not  good enough at sewing to make an entire bra from scratch. I've made do with wireless bras, but typically I have to go up in "sister sizes" because they make the bands too freaking short. I've found that the 34 or 36 bands do not actually measure their stated size; the manufacturers claim that it's because the bra elastics are supposed to stretch to that 34 or 36 inches. Why make it so complicated? Just make them the fucking size that you label them!

No comments: