Monday, September 16, 2024

Delightful Drama

To my surprise, Stage West's version of The Importance of Being Earnest was not set in Victorian times. As soon as I saw the set, I realized it was a modern adaptation, and the program confirmed that this was the director's choice. If Shakespeare can be staged in any time period, then why not Wilde? So Oscar's classic farce became an absurd 1980s soap opera. It was wonderfully funny. Here's a professional review with photos.

I still wonder, though, why the ads and logo for the show still featured two Victorian gentlemen in top hats. I guess the marketing designer didn't find out about the modern setting in time. I suppose Stage West also didn't want to repeat themselves too much, as they had the Sherlock Holmes play earlier this season. And yes I realize that I'm old if I consider the 1980s modern times, when that is over 40 years ago. So it's still technically a period setting.

No comments: