Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Still as hot as summer

Mid-September already? I worked through Labor Day and ignored the yucky GOP Convention in Dallas. There are more political ads on TV lately, as Abbott and Paxton try to say they will do things to address affordability, but all they are talking about are tax credits and deductions, not solutions for the everyday pocketbook. Abbott even runs an ad saying that local districts are the ones doing the property tax increases on people. Yes, but that's because the State of Texas is not funding services, so local cities have to make up the difference somehow. Stopping cities and counties from raising funds is going to make things worse, not better! Fucking Republicans acting like they care about poor working people!

The election is coming soon. I periodically check my voter registration as everyone warns me. No problems so far, but I am pissed off about Tarrant County cutting polling locations. That reminds me that Tim O'Hare is now running ads claiming that he's "bipartisan" in cutting "wasteful spending". Fuck him.

Meanwhile, I realized that Barnes & Noble no longer allows me to download ebooks from my account. Yes I can still read the books I've purchased on my tablet and phone, but if I sign into the website on a computer and go to my library, it just opens the book directly on the BN website; no download to my desktop available. So there's no way for me to test whether I can convert anything to another format on Calibre. Oh well. First world problems. (Though we're certainly sliding into 2nd or 3rd world status lately...)

No comments: