Sunday, June 30, 2024

Worries

Well I managed to find parking outside the closed streets yesterday and walked the rest of the way to Light Up Arlington. Once I oriented myself on the major streets, I just had to follow various food trucks and vendor booths to all the activities. It was indeed hot but I found plenty of shade and breezes that made the 90 degree weather feel nice; I wasn't sweating through my clothes at least. There were outdoor toilets, but the local library was open for kids activities, so I could actually use an indoor toilet before moving on to some outdoor concerts. I spent way too much money and drank too many sugary sodas and sno-cones, so I started to feel sleepy at the end. There were plenty of benches and other public seats by City Hall, but I should have brought my handfan and maybe a beach towel so I could sit on the grass. I'll have to remember that for next time. The fireworks were supposed to be set to music with a radio station, but I didn't have a radio with me; it was just the bombs with no soundtrack. The explosions were very loud and some little kids screamed out of fear I think, not joy. I worried about the various dogs that I'd seen walking around earlier that day. I hope their owners took precautions with thundershirts or something.

I had to wait for traffic to clear out before I could leave. The SUV next to my car had its trunk open for no discernible reason; didn't they fear someone stealing their car while they weren't there? Anyway, I got home very late and couldn't really sleep. My fridge woke me up in the middle of the night with very loud noises, making me fear that it was dying and I'd need a replacement that I can't afford right now. I need it to hold on until payday next week. I'm trying to look into July 4th appliance sales, but I have to factor in the cost of delivery and installation too.

Meanwhile, France is having its elections, with worrying results so far. Not that I understand Parliamentary government, really. More confusing negotiations over ceasefire in Gaza. It's still opaque over whether anything will change.

No comments: