Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Autumn Already

Happy 100th birthday to Jimmy Carter! He said before that he wants to live long enough to vote this November, and I hope he does.

Wow, it's October already. Temperatures are still in the 90s in Texas though. The government is offering free Covid test kits again, so I signed up.

I went to see the movie The Wild Robot, which is very heart felt and beautifully animated. It seems to be doing good at the box office, so they may make a sequel. It's based on a book series I guess, so there should be good material. Reminds me a little of The Iron Giant, except that it's focused on animals, with no human characters on the island. The robot-building corporation is the villain, but nature itself also provides harsh conditions for survival. The film does acknowlege that death occurs but alludes to it gently so parents can deal with kids' questions rather than with their trauma.

I haven't been able to see other smaller movies that were too limited in release, like Tokyo Cowboy and Empire Waist, so I'll have to look on streaming for those. Unfortunately, with October, there's bound to be a bunch of horror movies out; there seems to be horror films year round now, but especially in October. I hate most horror, unless it's light and comic like Hocus Pocus. But I do have some Scooby-Doo DVDs to watch instead.

No comments: