Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Can we get out now?

Well, I wasn't home the momentous night that Obama made the announcement of Bin Laden's death, but of course I learned the news soon enough. I was not so much joyful as simply relieved that the issue was finally resolved so that nobody can still say we're in these wars because of 9/11. I would have been just as happy with capturing him alive and putting him on trial, but this is just as well.

I never saw Obama's speech about how the struggle isn't over, so I don't know what he said. But I wish desperately that our troops can finally start coming home. Even if they can't all go, surely a substantial decrease would be all right, since we were already going to leave? And with the new poll saying 59% of Americans want out, I hope it may actually happen. Certainly we've got to get out of Iraq as well. Please can't we all agree on something and not let the war hawks keep us stuck there?

No comments: