Monday, July 15, 2013

Terrible Weekend

Although I'm not surprised that the anti-abortion law passed in the 2nd special session, it's still depressing that so many clinics are going to close down, cutting off millions of women from affordable healthcare and any kind of abortion, not just the banned post 20-week ones. Of course the law will be challenged in court, but the prospects for the law getting struck down don't look good. Even if we did win a court case, that's still going to take a long time, and Texas women will be screwed in the meantime.


I'm also worried about how long the Voting Rights Act challenges will take, and I for one am not sure that Wendy Davis can succeed in getting elected governor. Outsiders may be optimistic about her chances, but they don't know how fucked up and gerrymandered the state is. To turn this state blue, we need support from national Democrats for all races, not just one high-profile race. Stop writing us off and telling us to secede, you bastards!

Then on top of that, there was the verdict in the Trayvon Martin case. I didn't follow the trial, because I don't have cable news, and because my main problem was with Zimmerman not getting charged with a crime in the first place, until public outrage caused the police to act. I was okay with letting the trial play out however it would, without watching it like a media spectacle. So fine, he was found not guilty due to lack of eyewitnesses and definitive proof. I'm not going to riot about that, but I don't have to like it either. Stand Your Ground laws are still crazy and need to be struck down. So sad.

Also I felt terrible and sick for much of the weekend. I hope I feel better soon.

No comments: