Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Sherlock's Dad

Well, I wasn't looking for this news, but I couldn't help but learn that John Noble is cast as Holmes's father in season 4 of Elementary. I already quit the show months ago. This is too little too late in my opinion (and I'm so fucking sick of every episode being about murder, instead of the variety of crimes and non-crimes from the original canon).

I mean, if I believed that the writers would actually do something useful with Holmes's dad, such as him pointing out what a hypocritical dick Sherlock is for continuing to live at the brownstone and live off his trust fund while bemoaning his obscenely wealthy father, that would be a good sign. Somehow, I doubt that the show writers have that much self-awareness about Holmes, given the smug, self-righteous tone he's had for 3 seasons already. It was like they hated the idea that Holmes should ever deign to take a private client or a non-murder case, either for the money itself or for the thrill of the puzzle. Plus I suppose there will be no mention of what's happened to Mycroft, and whether Holmes senior knows anything about what happened to him, MI5, or even Kitty Winter. By the way, was there ever any explanation about Holmes's mother? Is she dead or what?

Most of all, I don't want to see Moriarty come back, which I'm sure they'll do at some point because they seem to like psychopaths too. Good luck to John Noble, anyway.

No comments: