Thursday, April 26, 2018

Diversity

Hank Azaria responded to the Apu controversy with more grace and nuance than the show itself did. I'm glad he had no input on that horrid "Don't have a cow" scene, but it makes me disappointed in the voice actors that did participate. Azaria has repeatedly come across as genuine and sincere, and Al Jean would be better off following Azaria's example if he's looking for the "right" response. He's fine not voicing Apu anymore, and isn't defensive at all. Azaria even suggested adding more inclusion in the writers room, not as tokenism, but as a chance for real change. Everyone should be thinking of diversity in gender and race in Hollywood. It's the only way to combat racism, sexism, and harassment.

Alia Shawkat also commented recently about the Jeffrey Tambor allegations. I'm glad she spoke up, because it was very presumptuous of David Cross to speak like he knew what all the AD cast thought. For a minute I was worried, because the article mentions Jason Bateman as supporting Tambor; however the actual quote was that he loves the man and always would. You can love somebody but be disappointed and shocked by their actions, as Sarah Silverman said of Louis CK. Since he didn't speak any further, I think Bateman knows it's wise not to try to defend the allegations. ETA: Apparently I was SOO wrong about Bateman's response.

Anyway, in the interest of diversity, the Crazy Rich Asians trailer is out, and I love it. I'm more excited and impatient for that than the Infinity War coming out this weekend. I hope it's not just another Joy Luck Club, followed by nothing for years. I have been reading about other Asian projects in Hollywood lately, so maybe this is indeed opening the door to a trend.

No comments: