Monday, July 22, 2019

Phase 4

So at ComicCon, Marvel announced their upcoming movies, and I wasn't really interested in the new Chinese superhero movie because I don't read comics and don't know that character. But then I read that they cast Simu Liu from Kim's Convenience, and I'm quite happy for him. Plus Awkafina is in it and there's a new Mandarin character included. (Ben Kingsley had played an actor pretending to be the Mandarin in Iron Man 3, only to have the real villain be a white guy.) For them to finally cast a Chinese actor as Mandarin, instead of all those fake-outs before, is long overdue.

Plus they're rebooting Blade with Mahershala Ali. I never saw the original vampire movies, but have heard they were good precursor of a black superhero prior to Black Panther. Is Phase 4 finally going to be really diverse in both actors and directors? They've been so slow to get to this level of inclusion. I hope they don't squander it.

I'm still not going to watch every Marvel movie because Scarlet Johansson has burned too many bridges for me to support Black Widow anymore. Plus I'm so damn sick of Spiderman and hate the weird thing with the adults making the teenager responsible for Iron Man's legacy, etc. Stop putting crazy pressure on a kid!

No comments: