Friday, December 6, 2019

Movie business and TV

I found out that AMC theaters doesn't pay its hourly workers overtime pay or holiday pay. There's apparently some legal loophole that entertainment is exempt from federal labor laws. That's horrible, and there's a petition to change that.

Meanwhile, the new Mulan trailer is out, and the discussion of phoenixes makes me crave seeing it all the more. After the black phoenix in Maleficent 2, I'd like to see a proper flame-colored phoenix. The Hong Kong protests resulted in great election results for them, so I don't feel as bad about not boycotting the movie. Maybe I'll feel differently by March.

On TV, Black Lightning finally got a win. The occupation storyline in Freeland has been very frustrating and slow, though I did like Tobias Whale having to argue with Odell and Dr Stewart instead of berating underlings again. The mind-wiped Khalil did horrible stuff, but at least he wasn't stuck in a repetitive story with Tobias again. I'm not sure how the crossover will fit in next week, but we'll see. It's dumb to break up the five nights between December and January. So dumb.

Nancy Drew also took a turn when the writers apparently decided the sheriff should not be an adversary but a partner who is an expert on spirits as well, with a whole trunk of Native gear in his office. Nancy also confronted her father who gave her some story about covering up Lucy's murder out of fear, and then moving to Europe for "the first year of your life" which contradicts prior flashbacks showing Nancy as a toddler, not a baby, witnessing her parents with the trunk containing the bloody dress. It also contradicts what Nick said about the payment being sent through a shell company and not sent the usual way that the Hudsons paid Carson Drew for non-murder lawyering. I like the Scooby gang, but I'm getting frustrated with the show always leaning on supernatural detours instead of proper mysteries. Maybe I'll drop the show.

No comments: