Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Primary Voting

I early voted this weekend as well as did my taxes. They were still so many candidates on the ballot who had already dropped out, that I had to keep paging down to find Elizabeth Warren. About the same number of primary candidates for US Senator too, to run against Cornyn. I had to do some research about the various judicial candidates on the ballot too, so I used the League of Women Voters guide. One week out from Super Tuesday, so I hope there are good results then. I'm so sick of seeing TV ads for Bloomberg. He needs to get out of the race and stop driving up prices for other candidates that need air time!

Meanwhile, I saw Call of the Wild recently and enjoyed it. The CGI/motion capture worked for the dog, and it was good to know that a real dog didn't have to act out the beatings and dogfights, even as pretend. Animal lovers are not going to like watching gratuitous dog abuse, so they toned down the gore and violent deaths from the book. (No dogs drown in the melting ice of a lake, for example.) Harrison Ford narrates the film, and appears as John Thornton, who has a tragic backstory and is an alcoholic. Buck saves him, as expected, then goes through his own transformation due to his ancestral wildness, represented as a ghostly black wolf spirit. It's a pretty good adventure, though they happen upon a cabin and a riverful of gold a little too easily. The movie also changed the villain due to Jack London's original story being too racist and vindictive to the imaginary Native tribe. I don't mind the changes, and other film adaptations have been even looser and more unfaithful. I really liked the diverse casting for the two postal delivery workers in Alaska. I mean, to run a dogsled, why wouldn't you seek out Native expertise? I wish the movie had spent some more time with these two before moving on to John Thornton.

I also rewatched Birds of Prey again and realized that I was wrong about the timeline; it isn't messed up. I was just confusing two different nights at Sionis's nightclub. The first night, apparently a week ago, was the one where Harley wore her hair up and had rhinestones in her eyebrow. The second night, she had her hair in ponytails, and she wore the rainbow sleeves/shrug thing. It's just, the movie didn't mark the change from one night to the next with narration or a "1 week later" title onscreen, so I thought Harley injured Sionis's driver the same night that she blew up ACE chemicals. Separating the two nights makes much more sense.

No comments: