Thursday, September 9, 2021

Dark Days

No surprise, Greg Abbott signed the new Texas voting restriction law. It's only gonna get worse when the GOP gerrymander our maps again with the new Census information. Voting rights organizations are suing, of course, but I sure wish the Senate would pass the federal law to help us out. We'll see what they do when Congress returns from recess.

The odious Texas abortion law, and the Supreme Court letting it stand, have been very disheartening lately. I had hoped that, given that the Supreme Court had punted or ruled favorably on a couple of transgender rights cases, that they didn't want involve themselves in culture war fights anymore. But I was wrong. It is indeed a deeply rightwing court.

At least many people and companies have been resisting the abortion law, and Garland just said the DOJ would sue. I don't know if people are going to start boycotting Texas like they do Georgia. I just hope that Blue State democrats remember that Texas Democrats are still worth fighting for. I can't stand when they blame us for the gerrymandering or gleefully cheer on secession like they're happy to abandon us to the crazies.

No comments: