Monday, July 4, 2022

Mr. Malcolm's List

Meanwhile, I was not able to find Lost Girls close to me, and the movie reviews were very poor, saying the filmmaker illogically cast herself in the main role. Oh well. I guess I'll stick with the 2003 Peter Pan that I like.

I was able to find Mr. Malcolm's List, though, and enjoyed it. Very Jane Austen-ish and great fun to see we get the full treatment of swelling music, horseback riding, and sunlit kisses, just like any other period rom-com. Plus, there was a painting of Mr. Malcolm's Black family at his estate, and it reminded me of the famous painting of Dido Elizabeth Belle. People today incorrectly think that people of color didn't exist in Western society in the past, but Britain has had immigrants for centuries due to its conquering Empire, and sometimes money can indeed overcome race or illegitimacy when it comes to social class. Plus, the French had Alexandre Dumas pere and Joseph Bologne. Apparently colonialism didn't preclude some Europeans from raising their mixed race children with the same privileges they'd give to white kids. I can't wait for the Joseph Bologne movie!

Diversity is not historically inaccurate. Hollywood has just whitewashed the past. And besides, our fiction should reflect our modern tastes, rather than be stuck to some rotten outdated rules. Even the King Arthur tales and Shakespeare had Saracens and Moors.

No comments: