Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Movies and dolls

There's a new Emmet Till movie coming out this October and I saw the trailer. Also, there's some Korean War movie called Devotion based on a true story. That Glen Powell guy seemingly is making a career of playing pilots (ever since astronaut John Glenn in Hidden Figures.) I guess it's not bad typecasting. I wanted to see the new Thirteen Lives movie about the Thai Cave rescue, but it didn't open anywhere in Dallas/Ft Worth apparently, and I'll have to watch it on Amazon when it gets there.

Meanwhile, after a lull in my collecting, I got a couple of new Barbies recently and a Ken. I got Fashionista #172 for her microbraids and interesting face; she has flat feet and I swapped her shoes for black boots. The Ken doll #193 has rooted hair, and I liked his hairstyle, though I had to wash out all the gel. Then I got the Paramedic from the career Barbies. It was the first Asian-looking doll whose face reminded me of Chloe Kim, though she is more petite. In the store her hair looked yellow blonde, but when I got her home it was more strawberry blonde, which pleases me. I changed her into a gingham dress and braided her hair, so now she looks like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, sort of. Still trying to decide on a name for her.

I'm hopeful that the Barbie movie will be good. I heard a rumor that there are multiple Barbies and Kens, which is just like the real dolls. With the fashionista lines, Mattel started just giving the dolls numbers instead of naming them, the way they used to with Christies, Steves, Alans, Midges, etc. So now every doll is Barbie or Ken. (And the Creatable World dolls can be gender fluid.)


No comments: