Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Other Stuff

In other news, I started reading Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days. Wow, what a difference in readability! I was beginning to think that every Victorian writer was as stilted as Allan Pinkerton (or whoever his ghostwriter was). Verne possessed an easygoing style that is refreshing. (At least that's what it's like in translation. Don't know what the original French was like, but it ought to be good, given the wide and enduring popularity of his books.) Plus the characters are three dimensional, with eccentric traits and their own way of talking. Except for Aouda, who is simply a pretty cipher at the moment, though I hope we'll get more after they leave Asia. I have to keep reminding myself that Verne is French and not an English writer, because Phileas Fogg seems so quintessentially English.


Also, I saw the new Winnie the Pooh movie this weekend and enjoyed it. Classic animation with no need for 3D or computer effects. The sequence where Pooh daydreams about the world turning into honey is almost on the level of bizarre hallucinations in other films like Dumbo. About the only thing that didn't feel quite right was Rabbit's voice, and I don't even know why I didn't like it.

No, I didn't see Harry Potter, because I got sick of it two movies ago and didn't ever read the books.

I should put up a new Love Bites review soon, because I actually liked the most recent episode, despite it not being even-numbered. Annie actually showed up at the end. I've heard that NBC is not airing anymore episodes, though, so I hope they'll show up on Hulu. We'll see.

No comments: