Sunday, January 5, 2014

Wonder Woman

I very much enjoyed the ending of Nikita, but am sad that the show is over. I'm glad that many of the actors have new shows already. Too bad Sonya couldn't come back for the finale, but it's understandable. I think that Birkhoff releasing Shadownet so that people can avoid being spied on by the NSA is sure to cause trouble with his NSA father, but I suppose that's why he's retreating to England.

In my search for a new TV heroine, I ran across Wonder Woman, now airing on MeTV. I remember watching reruns of this show when I was a kid in the 1980s, but I only remember the later seasons that weren't set in the 1940s. So watching the show from the beginning, even the campy TV movie that started it, has been very interesting to me. Lynda Carter is so great, and I look forward to seeing when Carolyn Jones will appear as the Amazon Queen. (Carolyn Jones was Morticia on the Addams Family.) Yes, the feminism is somewhat clunky when they talk about Paradise Island, but I do like that there are strong female characters as both heroes and villains. I definitely enjoyed that the first episode featured a boy who loved Sherlock Holmes.

I wish there would be a new Wonder Woman show or movie these days, but all the projects I hear about sound awful and die in development. She seems to be featured in some upcoming comic book movies, but not her own. I was hoping for more from Melinda May's character on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, but that show seems obsessed with the stupid Skye character instead. I'll give the show one more chance so I can learn the secret of Coulson's death, but if that's no good, I might give up the show for good.

No comments: