Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Movies

So anyway, the Oscars were this weekend. I was watching an old Murder She Wrote movie instead. I heard about the awards though, and was disappointed that Black Panther or Blackkklansman didn't win. Maybe they split the vote. Sure, Green Book was a charming movie, but Best Picture shouldn't go to merely charming when there are better films nominated. Also, I didn't like the fact that they nominated Mahershala Ali for Supporting Actor instead of Lead Actor with Viggo. Oh well. Oscars disappoint all the time and they snubbed Crazy Rich Asians to start with.

I really don't understand the obsession with "Shallow" or A Star is Born either. From the moment I watched the trailer I found both godawful annoying. Plus, the phrase is "the shallows" not "the shallow" if you're writing a metaphor about swimming in deeper waters. It bothers me pedantically, along with the fucking vague lyrics. I much prefer Lady Gaga's other music and resent the implication that being electronic or more pop-oriented means your music is "inauthentic", which seems to be the theme of the movie due to all the reviews and interviews about it. What a strange way to shame the female lead, when the oft-made movie is supposed to be about the alcoholic breakdown of the man due to jealousy about his wife's rising career. Why put down that career and make it seem like she shouldn't be happy for her success?

Anyway, I did go to see Lego Movie 2, hoping there'd be enough Lego Batman to make it worth it. It wasn't really worth it. I mean, he was there in the plot but didn't do anything really cool, nor did Lucy, and it was all bogged down with time travel. So, disappointed with that, I finally went to see that Into the Spiderverse movie. It was more charming, and its message was that "anyone can wear the mask" due to the multiple universes. Still, I do wish they'd stop remaking Spiderman so frequently, almost as often as Batman. I also recently enjoyed What Women Want, which was over the top at times, but still had some good lowkey moments with her father, as well as a gay romance in the background. Still would like more LGBT in the foreground, but at least Ali did right by promoting her assistant to agent. I hope March movies will be better, starting with Captain Marvel.

No comments: