Monday, September 2, 2019

Movies to Come

With fall around the corner, Apple still hasn't announced pricing or a specific launch date for their Apple TV+ service. This vagueness really looks bad, especially compared to the many detailed announcements about Disney's new service. I mean, I probably can't afford to sign up for anything while keeping my Netflix account, but if I did have extra money, Disney's offer looks more affordable and comprehensive than any of the other choices. (Such is the strength of their monopoly that they can price-cut everyone else.) I wonder if Apple's September 10th event will be the big announcement, or if it will only be about iPhones and computers?

Still no announcement of a release date for the Miss Fisher movie, either. Come on, Acorn! I've got to see Phryne again. Also hope that Mr. Malcolm's List is still going forward as a feature film.

I've seen some movie trailers for a new kids movie called Abominable (this is like the 3rd or 4th yeti movie in the past few years). I was going to pass on this since I've already seen a good yeti movie, but this one actually has an Asian protagonist, and her other, non-Yeti friends are also Asian. So great, and she even gets dumplings from her Nai Nai. As much as I enjoyed Smallfoot's compelling portrayal of cultural conflicts between yeti and humans, I did notice how the main human characters were white or foreigners visiting Tibet. No natives with speaking parts. So I guess I'll see Abominable and hope it will be good too.

No comments: