Sunday, July 5, 2020

Independence

Fireworks are going off in my neighborhood, and it's almost the end of July 4th. Seems relatively quiet for a Texas summer holiday. Abbott finally made masks mandatory for most counties. If only he'd learned his lesson early. Still not sure why he doesn't try to rein his Lt. Governor in, make him lie low for the rest of the pandemic. Meanwhile, no use expecting Trump to change his tune; same old shit at his ego-stroking rallies.

On July 1st, Netanyahu didn't go through with annexing the West Bank. There's speculation as to why, including the Covid crisis in Israel, Arab neighbors, etc. Hopefully the rest of the world can continue to pressure him to abandon the plan. Maybe Netanyahu can eventually be forced out of office by his corruption scandal. I have to hope.

I've been reading The Westing Game lately. I remembered reading it before as a kid, though I forgot most of the plot, except for America the Beautiful. Sam Westing being super-patriotic and using fireworks to burn his whole mansion to the ground is weird, though this time I was struck by the cast of characters being so diverse for 1973. There's an important theme of feminism too, with Angela Wexler struggling to become an independent, whole person instead of just a doctor's wife, Turtle becoming a business/stock market whiz with help from Sam Westing. Apparently the book has been adapted as a movie before, and I'd like to see it if I can find it available anywhere.

No comments: