Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Vote Early

Well early voting starts in Texas today. I got mixed up about my work schedule and originally thought I would have the day off, but actually my day off was yesterday. So I'll have to wait until the weekend to vote.

I have seen some political ads on TV, and the Republicans are really trying to paint Democratic candidates as extremist liberals out to destroy the country. I heard that a court ruled we could have straight-ticket ballots, but I don't know if they actually had time to make the change to the ballots. The governor is still trying to limit drop-off boxes for absentee ballots; a court ruled against him, but he appealed. Just gotta keep screwing up the election to the last minute, huh?

Meanwhile, I saw the Yellow Rose movie last week. It's about a Filipina girl trying to be a country singer, but then her mom gets arrested by ICE, and she has to deal with being undocumented. Rose has an aunt that she tries to stay with, but the uncle doesn't want her there, so she has to look for other safe spaces to stay. Her boyfriend also gets her in touch with an immigration lawyer for advice. Country singer Dale Watson even plays himself, becoming Rose's mentor and helping her to make a demo tape. Sad, with nice songs.

No comments: