Sunday, March 28, 2021

The Irregulars

I finished Netflix's supernatural horror series about the Baker Street Irregulars. It's pretty good, though I don't like Watson being so disdainful and deceptive all the time. Also, the last episode had way too much stuff happening, making it feel interminable; I would have preferred that we could focus on just the Rip drama without the extra battles in the Duck and Quiver cellar.

There are indeed some gruesome horror moments on the show, so squeamish people should cover their eyes or look away at the scary bits. As for me, given the "slicing people's faces off" thing from the Birds of Prey movie and the similar face swapping thing on Batwoman, I was able to withstand that episode with the taxidermy monster. A lot of times we also got reaction shots first, to build up the dread of the thing, before we saw the thing itself, so there's warning. Each monster turns out to be a regular person who makes a desperate wish and then receives supernatural power from the Rip, a portal between this life and Purgatory. But of course these wishes have terrible consequences, much like a monkey's paw or that stupid Dreamstone in the Wonder Woman movie.

Anyway, as I said, I don't mind aging the the Irregulars to teens, and I'm so pleased that the Asian girl Bea is the leader of the gang. Watson is indeed a black man, and moreover, he's queer in that he loves Holmes. I'm a little disappointed that this love is mostly shown in him being petty and jealous about Sherlock's love interest. I can't tell you how fucking relieved and happy I was that "A" stood for Alice and not Irene Adler. This writer Tom Bidwell at least has an original thought to create his own woman, and to not make her some weirdo psychopath cross with Moriarty. That's nice. We haven't had originality like that since the love interest in Young Sherlock Holmes. I don't know if there'll be a season 2, but the show was an intriguing ride so far.

No comments: