Sunday, March 27, 2022

Anna May Wong

Gemma Chan is going to star in a biopic about Anna May Wong! This is long overdue for the Hollywood icon who faced so much racial discrimination in her career. I'm so happy at the news. Gemma previously paid tribute to Wong during her Met Gala appearance in 2021. I hope it will be good, and that the Oscars won't overlook it like they did The Farewell a couple of years ago, and other deserving films. Unfortunately, Oscars remain so white in a lot of ways. I recently watched Flower Drum Song, which Wong was cast in before she died, and they had to cast another actress Juanita Hall in her part.

The Oscars are tonight, too, though apparently there's some controversy about them cutting some categories or condensing them or something. Trying to shorten the show I guess. I don't really care about them anymore.

I did notice that HBO Max is about to have a Julia Child biopic as well as a new rom-com staring Lana Condor. I'll look forward to seeing those at the end of the March.

No comments: