Saturday, June 18, 2022

Juneteenth

There's lots of local celebrations of Juneteenth this weekend, and Opal Lee is doing her annual walk to raise money for a Juneteenth Museum for Fort Worth. I just watched a TV interview with her and her granddaughter. I learned that Opal Lee does much more than crusade for Juneteenth history to be taught. She runs a community food bank and a community garden. Also she told the history of how her family was attacked by racists and their house burned down in the 1930s, so she knows the importance of remembering history. If only the hysterical people trying to ban books and expunge history would listen.

I'm going to try to go to one of the festivals near me, and then I'll visit my family for Father's Day. I'm going to see a play called Into the Breeches at Stage West theatre. I also might try to see the Jurassic movie this weekend, but I wish more that I could find the Lost Girls movie closer to me. It's far away in a theatre I've never heard of. Just got to enjoy this weekend since we're heading for more 100-degree days. So hot, and it's not even July yet.

No comments: