Saturday, July 22, 2023

Barbie Movie

I finally saw the Barbie movie!! There was a good Friday night crowd of women and kids dressed in pink. I was going to wear my Barbie shirt, but felt it was too heavy in the heat. I was happy that Simu Liu's Ken seemed to be the main rival to the blonde Ken played by Gosling. So he wasn't just a background guy or in one scene. Michael Cera as Allan seemed slightly more self aware of how ridiculous things were and was surprisingly skilled at fighting. There were songs and dance sequences, and they featured a couple of songs from the 90s, "Closer to Fine" and "Push," which I love. There was feminism and there was meta satire on patriarchy and Mattel. I'll probably see the movie again and try to find a showing with open captions, because I always miss dialogue. I'm glad it's doing good box office numbers.

Meanwhile, Wonkette moved to Substack, so I signed up there. I have a profile there, though I don't know if I'll actually post Notes there or not. Might be a way to post shorter thoughts that don't warrant a blog post, and it would probably be easier to post images there directly from my phone. We'll see. I'm certainly not joining Threads.

Also, the feds are finally ordering Texas to remove all that barbed wire crap from the Rio Grande river. Now if they'll just comply...

P.S. my barbie doll wearing gingham is a coincidence; I dressed her that way before I knew all about Margot Robbie's Barbie featuring gingham so much.

No comments: