Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Billionaire Barbie

The Barbie movie passed $1 billion dollars, breaking box office records. Yet it didn't clobber everything else at the theater. Other movies did relatively well, including the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem. I didn't see Nolan's Oppenheimer movie, though, because I don't like nonlinear storytelling; I feel it's convoluted for no reason. PBS has a documentary movie on the atomic bomb, which I'd rather watch, to learn the real history.

I did watch Barbie again with open captions at AMC, so now I know that Ken yelled "Sublime!" when Barbie came to his Mojo Dojo Casa House pretending to be interested in being his long-distance, low-commitment girlfriend. I usually miss dialogue when I don't have captions.

Meanwhile, I've been reading some Barbie posts at the Toy Box Philosopher lately, and she even had a post on the bigger My First Barbie doll that I saw in the stores. It's supposedly "easier to dress" because it's bigger and softer, but I'm skeptical. I have owned vintage Barbies and Kens that had the rubbery "bend and click" knees, and those were extremely hard to dress, because the pants kept clinging to their legs. I hate those legs, so unless Mattel has created a better vinyl technology, I won't go for that. Anyway, so in her post the TBP thoroughly reviews the 13.5" doll, and compares it to other dolls. But be forewarned, because she then dissects the doll and strips off the vinyl skin to reveal the skeleton underneath. That's something you can't undo.

Also, my local Target had a huge sale on the Fresh Fierce dolls, so I bought Okoye. I wanted to take off her costume to see her articulation, but I found that I couldn't take off her boots, and her pants wouldn't come off since the boots were stuck on. But what I did see of her joints was similar to a Made-to-Move Barbie. The details of the clothes and armor were really intricate and wonderful.

No comments: