Sunday, December 13, 2009

Houston elects a lesbian mayor

I saw this news late last night and was quite happy. Houston is the largest city so far to elect a gay mayor. This is great news after the crappy year we've had concerning marriage rights and such.

Maybe now Texas will get some respect too. All I ever seem to hear on the blogosphere is how we're a redneck state that should go ahead and secede from the union. All while ignoring the fact that our big cities are blue, and idiots like Rick Perry don't represent us all. Nobody seems to remember that we have had many prominent Democrats in the past such as LBJ, Lloyd Bentsen, Jim Hightower, and Ann Richards. The current governor's race is still a mess, and I've already seen endless TV ads for both Rick Perry and Kay Bailey Hutchinson. It's so annoying. I need to hear and learn more about Bill White, who seems to be the favorite among the Democratic hopefuls.


In other happy news, it seems that Veinglory is back in the Holmes fandom. I've added her link in my blogroll, under my "Reading and Writing" section.

Oh and last night I saw a new promo for the Sherlock Holmes movie in which Holmes drinks some liquid and Watson says sarcastically, "You do know that what you're drinking is meant for eye surgery?" Cocaine is indeed used for eye surgery because it constricts blood vessels. So it appears that Guy Ritchie is not being a coward after all. He'll let Holmes have the cocaine instead of alcohol, as long as he's not injecting it, I guess. It's odd, but I guess it's better than nothing.

No comments: