Sunday, June 20, 2010

A-Team movie

In other news, I saw the A-Team movie, and was quite disappointed. And yet I so loved seeing Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Quinton Jackson, and Sharlto Copley playing their characters. The first half hour or so was enjoyable, and I got a wave of excitement and nostalgia every time I heard the old TV theme song. So what was wrong? I think it's the fact that the action sequences were so confusingly cut that I couldn't tell what was going on. Also, I couldn't hear a lot of the dialogue because of the various explosions and other sound effects, so that limited my ability to pick up the jokes or to fully understand the plot.

I think I may enjoy the movie more on DVD, if it's sufficiently subtitled, and I can fast-forward through some of the endless CGI sequences. But I'm not sure.


I kind of wish they hadn't spent so much time on the "origin story" and had instead focused the movie on one of their usual "soldier of fortune" plots like on the TV show. Yeah, if the first hour or so had been spent on their being convicted of a crime and then escaping, with the rest of the movie about them righting wrongs for some regular people, I would have liked it more. I also would have been more willing to go along with the outlandish physical stunts.

But really, Liam Neeson and the other stars did damn fine work in their character-driven moments.

One interesting thing, which proves once again that all things relate to Sherlock Holmes somehow, is that the plot revolved around attempting to recover some U.S. Treasury plates that were stolen to produce counterfeit money. A similar plot was featured in Without a Clue, albeit with Bank of England plates and £5 notes substituted.

No comments: