Sunday, October 7, 2012

Good Gone Bad

I usually don't comment on The Good Wife here, but I've been watching it since season 1 because I loved many of the strong female characters like Alicia, Kalinda, and Diane; the complexity of the political plots and the struggles at the law firm frequently elevated the show from mere procedural to an insightful look at morality and character. Alicia and Kalinda's friendship was great for a while too, and I was glad for them to reunite, but frustrated when Kalinda still kept secrets and denied she was in trouble even when Alicia tried to help her.

Last season, I thought I wanted to learn about Kalinda's husband and her mysterious past as Leela, but boy was I wrong. This season is a retread of the worst aspects of the Blake storyline from season two. Violence mixed with lust, for no reason other than salacious shock value. What a mess.

It reminds me of that awful Hound of the Baskervilles movie where Laura Lyons was still trapped with her abusive husband and actually defending him when he attacked her. What the fuck is this? Sadomasochism? Women encouraging men to proclaim love while dishing out pain? And men tearfully declaring they'd never really kill her, because they love her so damn much. It's sickening. I'm going to fast-forward Kalinda from now on until her stupid husband is gone. And if Alicia continues to be flat and dumb and stay with Peter, I'm dropping this show too. I've already seen her stand by Peter through a campaign, and I don't need to see another retread in a year that I'm already sick of the real-life campaign.

No comments: