Friday, October 13, 2017

TV twists

I've enjoyed the last few episodes of The Orville, and tonight I thought I recognized the actress who played Nurse Ogawa on TNG, playing a Union admiral here, but I can't get confirmation anywhere yet. ETA: Omigod, that wasn't Patti Yasutake, that was Kelly Hu! My mistake.

It's a good show, though they don't always stick the landings at the end of episodes. I thought opening the sunroof on the bioship was a bad idea, and last week I didn't quite get how closing the wormhole erased Pria yet didn't create a time paradox about how their ship survived the dark matter storm.

SPOILERS BELOW

Anyway, tonight, I could have sworn that Gordon had an idea about how to destroy the bomb without killing everyone on board, because he said, "We'll need tools" and started to go get some. I thought he'd figured out how to merely stun the Krill crew, then get the bomb, but no. Ed wanted to save the kids, but we never got a follow up to that one boy who was curious about Earth and humans. It'll be sad if he feels betrayed by fake "Chris" and "Devon", as the teacher predicts. Also, the throwaway line about "making arrangements" to return the kids to their families on Krill--how exactly did they negotiate that, if they're so desperate to learn about Krill culture that they need to steal a copy of the religious text? If Krill don't believe humans have souls, why would they necessarily negotiate in good faith about transferring the kids home? The writers leave loose ends like this and need to be less sloppy.

Oh well. This week I also watched the Finding Your Roots episode with Fred Armisen. I was shocked by all the information about his famous Japanese grandfather Kuni, a dancer and possible spy. But then the final reveal, that Kuni was born Korean, then took on a Japanese stage name and persona after hate crimes against Koreans in Japan--wow! Really changed everything Fred thought he knew.

No comments: