Monday, January 6, 2020

Golden

Well I forgot about the Golden Globes last night, but congrats to Awkwafina, who won for The Farewell, and boo to Tarantino's stupid Hollywood fantasy winning over Knives Out or Dolemite is My Name. Self-indulgent fucker mangling up real murder history and disrespecting Bruce Lee to wax nostalgic about white people's good old days in L.A. Fuck you, Tarantino, for being just as idiotic as the Coen brothers' Hail Caesar! white Hollywood nostalgia. Dolemite at least was about real entertainment history, and it was funny too.

Anyway, I'm glad that stars took the time to speak out on issues like climate change and abortion rights. Celebrities absolutely should use their platforms to help the rest of us. It's certainly better than Hollywood being navel-gazing, in love with itself, making meta movies about movie-making. I hope that the so-called awards season gets more diverse; I'm not really interested in this confusing array of cable and streaming shows that keep getting touted as the next prestige thing.

Oh, also, I finally found an update about the Miss Fisher movie that missed a 2019 release. It's coming to Australia first, then the US in March 2020. I really hope the "select theaters" release will be near me, otherwise I'll have to sign up for Acorn TV to watch it. One bright spot in the chaotic mess of this New Year. I hope things will be better by Tet (Lunar New Year).

No comments: