Friday, June 12, 2020

Good riddance to Confederates

Ugh, Donald Trump came to Dallas yesterday for a fundraiser. I try to avoid news of him, so it was a shock when I read that he was in Dallas for some kind of stunt about race and police brutality. Totally useless of course, and excluding black voices. I guess the Republicans are panicking about Texas turning blue this year. (But he's going to go to an even more useless rally in Oklahoma next week on Juneteenth in Tulsa of all places! The gall. The fucking unmitigated gall.)

Meanwhile, some DFW counties have voted to take down some Confederate memorials this week. The local news says they want to get them dismantled and stored away before people vandalize or topple them. (It's been inspiring to see other statues come down with people power, and even NASCAR decided to ban Confederate flags and symbols.) I've been shocked that the Black Lives Matter protests have spread not just to Europe or Australia, but also Syria and Japan. Palestinians are even showing solidarity while they're suffering in Israel, and facing annexation in July.

Unfortunately LGBT pride month is getting overshadowed, and they can't have parades like normal. It will be virtual I guess, or in solidarity with the BLM protests. There's also a new acronym that I've been seeing lately, called BIPOC for Black, Indigenous, People of Color. I thought black and indigenous people were already included as people of color, but I guess they want further emphasis. Anyway, voting in Georgia's primary was a disaster, which makes me fear for what the elections in Texas will be if we don't get vote by mail. Republicans really want us to risk our lives in the middle of the pandemic.

I heard that voter registration was down due to COVID-19, but that the BLM protests created a surge. I hope that will continue. I haven't heard anything about the Census lately. Did they finish that?

No comments: