Friday, August 28, 2020

Personal History of David Copperfield

Most movie theaters have reopened now, and I went to see the new David Copperfield movie starring Dev Patel. I enjoy the colorblind casting, because too many period films try to pretend that history is all-white, excluding minority actors from these roles. Britain has had immigrants for centuries, and it needs to recognize them as authentic Brits too, able to participate in the U.K.'s cultural heritage. (I wonder when the full-length Mr. Malcolm's List will come out.)

Anyway I've never read the Dickens book, and apparently the movie's plot is much simplified; Dickens wrote his novels as serials, and I'd think you'd need a miniseries to cover all the meanderings of his plots. Dev Patel is great in the role, showing how David adapts to his changing circumstances by letting people give him nicknames. He suffers through many trials and tribulations, but feels real affection for his eccentric found families.


Meanwhile, I've been enjoying this incredible computer game called Criminal Case, by Pretty Simple. It's on Facebook, but also various appstores such as Android or Apple. I started out with the Grimsborough version, but I did find the murders too gory there, so I moved on to the "Mysteries of the Past" edition. It's so good, and the characters are diverse even though it's a steampunk world called Concordia (a stand-in for New York City), with a police squad based out of a flying blimp. So much fun, and I was able to choose an Asian avatar after the first few levels, unlike other games that make you wait. It's a hidden object game, but you also get to interview suspects and investigate clues to solve the mystery, so you really feel like a detective. I'm also pleased with the storylines about immigration, police corruption, and how people were racist against both Irish and blacks. That's how America really was, before suddenly Irish people "became white".

No comments: