Thursday, November 5, 2020

Games and TV

In lighter news, there's a new Sherlock Holmes computer/phone game called Sherlock: Hidden Match-3 Cases. I'm playing it on my computer rather than my phone. It's pretty and bright, unlike the shitty macabre/horror themes that overtook all the hidden object games on Big Fish. The hidden object scenes have a timer, and objects can move locations, so they're not always in the same place each time you go to that scene. That makes it harder. If you can't win the hidden object scenes, you have a choice to play Match 3 instead, though those games also go to harder levels. Still, I can usually win them after a couple of tries, then it's just a matter of having enough energy before you have to stop playing for the day.

I mostly like the story, especially how they make Watson handsome and slim like Jude Law; at last the Nigel Bruce-type Watson is gone! However the game gets a little confusing because it keeps opening new quests on the left hand column, so you can easily start a new story before you've finished the old one. I'm currently doing both "Silver Blaze" and "Alice in Wonderland" at the same time.

I recently watched the Netflix movie Over the Moon. It's an all Asian cast telling a Chinese story about the legendary moon goddess Chang'e. It's a sad story of lost love and mourning, but apparently Chang'e is not alone on the moon. She has a companion Jade Rabbit who can perform magic spells. So he's turned all of the goddess's tears into animate beings called Lunarians who live as adoring fans to keep her company. The weird Lunarian society was too flashy and neon bright, but I guess I'm not the child demographic they're targeting. I also couldn't figure what species the green Gobi was, since he clearly wasn't the Space Dog. It turns out he's a Pangolin. I mean, it's an okay kids' film, but I didn't really connect with it, being Vietnamese and not familiar with this moon goddess. I hope we get more Asian movie and TV content soon.

No comments: