Friday, February 26, 2021

New Irregulars

In late March, Netflix is releasing a new show about the Baker Street Irregulars. Apparently they will be diverse teenagers living in a horror/supernatural world as they solve crimes for a "sinister" Dr Watson and mysterious Holmes. I hope it's not like the CW's Nancy Drew, where I got tired of the ghosts taking precedence over any mystery solving. I don't like horror much, but maybe if it's like a Lovecraftian world it might be okay. This is apparently a British production, so it may be good. After all, Enola Holmes was excellent.

I've seen some complaints about making the Irregulars teenagers rather than 11 year olds. But the boys were kids in both A Study in Scarlet, and in The Sign of Four, which were set seven years apart. So the Irregulars definitely must have aged into teens during the canon. Watson just didn't tell us about them aging, essentially reusing the same intro scene in both novels. He could be lying, or "Wiggins" is just a title that keeps getting inherited and there are new kids recruited when the previous ones grow up. In the Netflix show, I do like that I see girls (and the Asian girl is the leader) among the new Irregulars. And apparently, according the the picture captions on the EW article, Watson is Black! I love that the creator Bidwell is a Holmes fan. I hope we get more details soon. I'm excited.

No comments: