Wednesday, April 14, 2021

First Steps

Maryland recently overrode their Governor's veto to repeal the the "police bill of rights" that apparently gave them all kinds of special privileges. I really hope things are changing finally, to get rid of "qualified immunity" for cops. Just treat them like any other citizen, and make them accountable for their actions. Get them out of their militarized mindset and don't let them get away scot free.

Meanwhile, Will Smith's Emancipation movie is moving production out of Georgia due to the voter suppression law. I know that Stacey Abrams is against boycotting Georgia, but I think the Republicans won't change or back off at all until they suffer financial loss; all they understand is money and power. They act all outraged now about corporations getting political, but they still want all the money. I heard that 100 companies had a conference call discussion about whether to pause campaign contributions to officials that supported the January 6 insurrection. Notice they talk about "pausing" not ending altogether, and they never actually pledged to do anything yet. I hope they will actually follow through. If corporations continue to be "people" with free speech, then they ought to use it for something good for the rest of us.

Also I read that the book The Downstairs Girl is being adapted into a TV show. The protagonist is Chinese, but it's being done by a Korean studio, so I'm not sure if this will air in the US at all. I hope at least it is available streaming.

No comments: