Sunday, July 4, 2021

Happy July 4th

The Olympics don't start until July 23rd, but they've have been in the news lately due to some really bad rulings against black women athletes and swimcaps for natural hair. It's really astonishing that they'd be so tone-deaf still. I haven't cared about Olympic sports since I stopped watching the figure skaters years ago, and even then I remember lots of unfair commentary and judgments against the black figure skaters for being too "athletic" and less graceful, aka white. How the fuck do you call someone too "athletic" for the Olympics? I guess the same way you make racist comments about Venus and Serena Williams changing tennis.

I wasn't planning to watch the delayed Tokyo Olympics this year, but then NBC announced that Amber Ruffin is going to Tokyo as a commentator. So that's why her show is going on hiatus so long this summer. (Also, her show is preparing to have a studio audience in August.) I hope Amber doesn't get infected with any new Covid variants in Tokyo. I certainly don't feel safe flying anywhere yet, much less to a crowded sports venue. I guess I'll just follow along to see if Amber makes any fun songs or skits about the Olympics.

No comments: