Saturday, December 4, 2021

Catching up on movies

It's December already and I didn't have time post about any of the TV and movies I've seen lately. I found out that on Disney Plus Day, they did a discount price of $2.99 for the first month, so I signed up for that so I could see some of the Marvel content people had been talking about like WandaVision. I also enjoyed the Muppet Haunted Mansion special with Will Arnett. I'm still debating whether to keep the subscription next month. It might be okay if I cancel my Netflix subscription, but I'm debating that.

Anyway I saw Eternals in theaters, but I found it somewhat underwhelming. It has a lot of diversity in the cast, but to accommodate that many characters, people had to die or be absent for long stretches in the movie. Many of the Eternals seemed to pair up in couples, but the main couple was Sersi and Ikarus. Also, when they kept talking about the Celestial Tiamut, it kept reminding me of the dragon Tiamat from the Dungeons & Dragons animated show.

SPOILERS

While I'm glad that Gemma Chan had a major role in Eternals, unlike her previous role in Captain Marvel, it seemed that Ikarus had a bit more character development than Sersi because he also became the conflicted villain. Also, the timeline of their romance seemed a little unclear since they seemed to confess their love in Babylon and then get married in India. Centuries later, Ikarus apparently left and ghosted her, but he later confesses that Ajak told him the emergence secret in in Babylon, so why did he stay and leave her later? Did they mean that Ajak told the secret in 1521 after the conquistadors?

I did like what I saw of Gilgamesh, Thena, Druig, Makkari, Kingo and Phastos when they were there. The human Karun who filmed a documentary was good comic relief too. I'm glad they didn't cut Phastos's family and that Disney apparently is willing to be boycotted in homophobic countries over this. Finally Disney is willing to use its massive power for something good.

No comments: