Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Everything Everywhere All at Once

I finally finished Our Flag Means Death, but it wasn't as lighthearted and celebratory as I'd hoped. Yes there are queer couples on the show, and we do get onscreen kisses, but the season ended on a downbeat cliffhanger. From the way that fans raved exultantly, I thought we'd get a happy ending. Instead we get couples being split up, and a crew stranded to die on an island. Worst of all, Izzy Hands didn't get thrown off the ship or killed off for his betrayal. I'm so fucking tired of his negativity and would have rather lost him than the other pirate. So anyway, yeah it's enjoyable enough for an absurdist comedy, and I did like seeing Joel Fry as Frenchie, but I was disappointed after all the hype. Reminds me of how Arrested Development did that great Gob/Tony Wonder romance, but kept splitting them up, undid Gob's coming out, and denied us a happy ending. Plus the writers left in the Narrator insisting that the magicians were just friends, so us Blunder shippers still gotta argue with other viewers about whether the romance was even real. Fuck!

Anyway, I also saw Michelle Yeoh's new multiverse movie, and it was wildly manic and original. At first I thought that Lana Condor was playing the daughter Joy, but later I learned she was actually Stephanie Hsu, who I've only seen as Soo, the married friend in Shang-Chi. Joy is a much bigger part for her, and she was very good at playing the wide range of emotions from terrifying to vulnerable despair. I came in a little late to the beginning, but was able to follow most of the plot. I might rewatch to see the beginning..

No comments: