Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Turmoil

My computer updated to Windows 11, with constant updates and restarting. It kept slowing down the laptop so much that I couldn't even load my browser for days. Plus my antivirus is such a resource hog, while constantly nagging me to upgrade to something more expensive. Not if you're gonna use 100% of my memory!

Anyway, a lot of fall shows have been premiering lately. I'm watching the Quantum Leap reboot and NBC recently ordered more episodes! Deadline reports that CBS is planning a new John Watson TV show. From the description, it appears to be set in modern times and is a medical show, like House. I'd really have preferred a detective mystery. Meanwhile the greedy Conan Doyle Estate is trying to establish an ACD universe by adapting a book series called Improbable Tales of Baskerville Hall. In the kids show, young Conan Doyle attends school and meets people to inspire all his future book characters, not just Sherlock Holmes.

PBS has some new documentaries like Making Black America and Harriet Tubman. I also watched the special on the U.S. and the Holocaust recently, and it seems all the racism mixed with paranoia that refugees would be "5th column" spies; Americans kept wanting more restrictions on refugees, not less, when they heard rumors about Nazis killing Jews. Of course the paranoia about spies also led to the internment of Japanese families, and would later lead to McCarthy's postwar Communist hunts. So horrible. The antisemitism is still here, as shown by Kanye West, who's been suspended. Unfortunately, Elon Musk is going through with buying Twitter now, so who knows what a cesspool that will become. I've never joined that or Facebook, but I know that social media was important in organizing major protests in America and abroad. If it becomes a tool for more misinformation and fascism, that will be dangerous. Good luck to the protestors in Iran and to the Jewish allies suing to end various abortion bans in the US.

No comments: