Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Unusual mysteries

In my search for more books with Asian lead characters, I came across a recommendation for The Three Body Problem, which is a Chinese science fiction novel that has been translated into English; it's actually part of a trilogy, and Netflix is apparently adapting it. In trying to find this book, I came across a completely different book also called The Three Body Problem, which is just a cozy period mystery by Catherine Shaw about a Victorian woman solving a murder among mathematics professors. Now some people might be annoyed by getting the "wrong" book, but I actually liked discovering Shaw's book, because I'm a mystery girl at heart and I did like astronomy and mathematics in high school; so the book was right up my alley, and I bought it.

Anyway, I did eventually find the Chinese novel and read a sample; I kind of liked the historical scenes but was confused by other aspects. I didn't buy that book after all. What I read of the plot summary on Wiki just confirms my opinion that the science fiction aspect was way too out there and way too confusing for me. I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

I had more success with a different book translated from Chinese, The Borrowed by Chan Ho-Kei. At first I balked at the high price for the book, but it's not just one story; it's several inter-connected stories set in Hong Kong over 50 years. Altogether 450 pages, but divided into 6 easy to read novellas. The Borrowed centers on a genius Hong Kong Police detective Kwan Chun-dok and his protege Sonny Lok. We meet them first in 2013, then go back in time to five more cases, so you can learn how they met, and see their developing relationship. You also see significant moments in the history of Hong Kong, and origin stories for the gangsters and criminals that they catch. Kwan becomes Sonny's sifu and surrogate father. Kwan is eccentric and his methods are unorthodox, often illegal. He's like Sherlock Holmes or Hercule Poirot, setting up a dramatic trap to catch a killer. Kwan's philosophy is not to obey the letter of the law if he can come up with a plan that will prevent bloodshed and protect citizens. We learn the origin of this philosophy and see how well Lok learns to implement this method himself. It's an excellent book that rewards re-reading. Well worth the price.

No comments: