Friday, September 15, 2023

Hypocrites and Tyrants

It's official, the UAW is on strike. I hope they succeed just like the UPS workers who won a new contract this summer. We have a local General Motors factory in Arlington TX, and I've recently heard some radio ad from GM praising its workers there. But praises don't mean anything if you don't pay your workers fairly. Don't drag this out like the Hollywood strikes! I don't understand why these greedy companies want to lose millions of dollars just to keep starving their workers. Happy, well paid workers can get stuff done and make you money.

Also, I've read a story online lately at about BĂ©lizaire, a young slave who initially appeared in a portrait with his master's family, but who was later painted out after he was sold away. The DailyKos article also includes a YouTube video from the New York Times about the painting. Art restorers have fixed the painting now and the museum is going to try to find more information about BĂ©lizaire. I hope they succeed. It sounds similar to how Napoleon banned Joseph Bologne's music and tried to basically erase him from history. I didn't realize how racist Napoleon was, even reinstating slavery in 1802 to pay for his wars. But after all, he betrayed the principles of the French Revolution to install himself as Emperor. So I don't feel like watching the upcoming Napoleon biopic.

No comments: