Monday, January 15, 2024

Snowed In

This MLK weekend is extremely chilly, with temps below freezing until Wednesday, and I don't want to risk the icy roads. I did manage to go out on the last warmish day last week to a play and the grocery store. I wish I had time to see more movies, though, as it looks like American Fiction finally opened near me but may be gone by next weekend.

I did manage to see The Book of Clarence on Wednesday, but I was late and missed the beginning. I hope I get to see the full thing before it also disappears from theaters. It's a biblical epic like Ben-Hur but has some comedic moments. However things turn serious once we meet the real Jesus and see him perform actual miracles (not tricks). Then Clarence's conscience troubles him about his fraud and he buys the freedom of some gladiator slaves. Plus the Romans capture him and "all the other fake Messiahs" to crucify them, and it becomes more about faith and belief. So not a fully irreverent spoof like Monty Python's Life of Brian. But it was nice to see a real Black Jesus instead of the white bearded guy depicted in Western paintings. (Though there is indeed a white blue-eyed guy among the "fake Messiahs" the Romans capture.)

Meanwhile, the Golden Globes were last weekend and apparently the Emmys are tonight. Dumb awards season. I'm going to try to catch up on some TV and movies on streaming such as Killers of the Flower Moon. I hope it won't be tedious. Just the fact that Scorsese made the film so damn long and refused to let theaters put in an intermission is so pretentious. The operas and theater plays he was comparing his film to, typically DO have intermissions. So he's the one being disrespectful to the art. A person can't concentrate on the art if they need a bathroom break. Yet I hear Scorsese wants his next film to be super-short at 90 minutes.

No comments: