Sunday, February 4, 2024

Other News

I've been worried with all the saber-rattling by Abbott about the razorwire at the border. Not to mention the Houthis in Yemen and the continuing war in Gaza. Still no cease-fire in sight. I did hear about Biden sanctioning four settlers in the West bank, but I'm not sure how that puts pressure on Israel itself to do something. Then there are 21 Democrats signing a letter to get more humanitarian aid to Gaza. At least they're trying. Recently there was a UN judge that ruled that Israel needs to do more to prevent genocide as well. But I think Israel is still resisting any change. They think their "right to defend themselves" is a blanket allowing them to justify anything they do. The way the US tiptoes around them and avoids direct confrontation makes us look impotent and useless. Peace feels like a hopeless wish.

But I'm trying not be down about everything. It's Black History Month in a leap year so there'll be an extra day. Also next week is Lunar New Year and then Mardi Gras, and Valentine's Day. (Also the Superbowl for people who care.) So lots to celebrate soon.

I did see American Fiction and I heard it was nominated for a few Oscars, so they actually expanded the release. I guess I was needlessly worried about it disappearing from theaters. In fact The Book of Clarence is still open in a few theaters even though it opened weeks ago. So I guess it's not a total bomb. Anyway, American Fiction was pretty funny, though also touching regarding Sterling K. Brown's gay character. I did get annoyed with Monk's snobbishness and his fight with his girlfriend. Though if he was really invested in the relationship, he should have been honest with her in the first place instead of keeping secrets and saying "none of your business" when she first asked where his sudden money came from. He could have claimed that he wrote My Pafology purely for mercenary reasons and then shared his embarrassment with her, but no.

No comments: