Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tech stuff and TV

In other news, I thought my Nook HD died today because it shut off suddenly and wouldn't turn on again even after I plugged it in. But now it's finally charging and responding to commands again, so I don't have to replace it yet. I probably should save up and budget for the new Samsung Nook, though, just in case. I've had the Nook HD for 2 years now, and it's done well, though it's clear that the battery indicator is not accurate, if it appears to be charged, but then shuts off all of the sudden. I'll have to see how long it will last tomorrow when it's not plugged in.

Apple announced some new phones and watches, though I don't need any of that stuff. I did appreciate getting a free U2 album, though I haven't had time to listen to it yet. I might get me a new laptop or iPod later.

Well, it's September and the new TV season will start soon. I'm mostly interested in the more diverse sitcoms like Fresh Off The Boat, Black-ish, and Cristela. Still waiting for Mission Control at midseason too, and I was sad to hear that Tina Fey's comedy at a women's college didn't get picked up. The only procedural I want to try is Mysteries of Laura not because I care about her sitcommy kids, but because I hope the show will be lighter and fun like Castle used to be before they stopped giving a crap. I fear that the mysteries might all be murders and/or introduce stupid serial killers. Why can't other crimes be investigated? And no, I don't mean stalkers. (No, I won't watch that show even for you, Maggie Q. I'd rather see you play that historical Chinese pirate that I read about you playing. When's that coming out?)

I did like how Brooklyn Nine-Nine showed cops working various kinds of cases, and I wish Elementary in fact would follow that example. Stop with the shitty murders and conspiracies so we can just have fun working on puzzles and getting character development. They don't have to be exact copies from the canon, but please let us have variety and eccentricity in the spirit of Conan Doyle. In fact, I'm glad that the second season of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries just started. If only Americans still made that kind of detective show.

No comments: