Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Fucking Microsoft

What a crappy way to start the New Year. My computer suddenly popped up with a message "Let's cross this off the list" talking about a new "feature update" that I needed to install or schedule for later. But there was no Microsoft branding on the popup, no way to check whether it was legit, rather than some virus on my browser, and no way to fucking close the window. Why the FUCK would you do that to your users who are supposed to be skeptical of warning boxes appearing out of nowhere?

Luckily I had other non-Windows internet devices that I could use to google the message, but even then it took me forever to find clear advice on whether this message was really from Microsoft. Even Microsft's own website was filled with advisers saying "Please take a screenshot so we can confirm." Even though there is no fucking way to take a screenshot when the warning locks up your computer. Did Microsoft not hand out official images to their technical support so they could give advice to confused users asking questions? Apparently this is part of the "Fall Creators Update" that began months ago, and I must have deferred it until they suddenly decided to force it on me with the new year. Why couldn't they have labeled the Install box with "Microsoft Fall Creators Update, Please install this critical security update. For more information, see ^official website link^"? Why not something clear like that? Why this stupid "cross this off the list" shit that looks creepy and anonymous?


After I did all this research to confirm that maybe this thing was for real, I went back to my Windows laptop and did CTRL ALT DEL to get out of its unresponsive state. Even then, Microsoft only gave me the Task Manager and a couple of other useless choices. I had to go hunting in the lower right hand corner for the Restart option that would finally let me escape the shitty "Cross this off the list" message.

Only once the computer rebooted could I finally go to Settings, Update and Security, then finally confirm that Windows indeed was trying to install the Fall Creators Update, Only then was I absolutely sure that this was a legit update and not a cleverly disguised scam virus. Fuck Microsoft for making it this hard for me to discover that this shit was safe for me to install. Then when I install it, of course I get no estimated time for how long it will take. I wait for over an hour, and it's still stuck t 50%. If I got an estimated time, I'd be better able to judge when it would be convenient for me to install. Fucking dumbasses at Microsoft. After all that trouble, and me finally getting my computer back to normal, the update just gives me stupid crap I don't want and some new 3D Remix software.

Hey, Microsoft, how about your new resolution be "don't alienate your users with stupid shit"? Cross that off your fucking list.

No comments: