Monday, February 12, 2018

Private Eyes

There's a new show on ION called Private Eyes starring Jason Priestley and Cindy Sampson. Actually, they just bought the rights to air it in America; it's Canadian made. So far it's pretty good, light and fun like Castle used to be before it turned horrendously bad and melodromatic. However they keep making reference to Matt Shade's ex-manager screwing him out of money when he was a professional hockey player, and Matt has said more than once that he'd like to get revenge on him. I hope this not a warning sign that they're going to turn this into a quest like the conspiracy shit about the murder of Beckett's mother on Castle. Maybe it'll be bearable and dealt with quickly like Nate's season 1 quest against the insurance company on Leverage. Private Eyes at least looks like it will deal with a variety of cases instead of murder every damn time like Elementary did. Hopefully that will keep it fresh for a while.

Meanwhile, I also saw an episode online of a new British Chinese show called Wok that was pretty funny. Sort of offbeat and fun like Fresh Off the Boat. It's cool seeing them act/speak in a way that's both Asian and yet very British, like I've seen on whiter British sitcoms. I don't know if there will be anymore episodes available besides this pilot episode. Maybe we'll eventually be able to buy DVDs stateside, or else I'll just buy something PAL-formatted, since I have a PAL player.

I've read that Michelle Yeoh eventually came back to Star Trek Discovery, playing the mirror universe Empress Georgiou. I'm glad that she knew all along about the twist, and that she didn't willingly agree to be on the show just to be killed off almost immediately. At first, when we didn't know, I was cheesed off that we were getting a bait-and-switch, promising an Asian captain only to be replaced by the boring white male captain again. I'm still not sure I'll pay to watch the show, but it's nice to know the showrunners knew better than to waste Michelle Yeoh.

No comments: