Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Midseason launches

Timeless hit the ground running with their season 2 premiere. An explosion, then WW1 (aka the Great War) and Marie Curie. I almost forgot that Emma was Rittenhouse, but they used her nicely as an enforcer, and at the end Garcia Flynn gets recruited to join the Time Team in hunting down the sleeper agents. I guess this is a reasonable explanation about how Lucy began working with him and wrote that future diary that he had in season 1.

Deception premiered at the same time, and it was okay, though I didn't like the reveal that he had a secret twin brother all this time, and it started with their magician father making them share one identity from childhood. What a way to screw up some brothers for your career! Where was the mother in all this? A manipulative creep too, or a passive enabler like the mother in The Family Fang? Who knows. I have just recently finished my DVDs of The Magician with Bill Bixby, a previous take on a magician mystery show. In comparison, Deception is a flashier, bigger-budget thing, with a whole team of magic assistants/illusion designers helping the lead. I find him kind of smarmy, though, rather than charming, and I don't like the female villain with two eye colors, 'cause she's giving off female Moriarty/Irene Adler vibes from Elementary. I'll give it a couple of more episodes to improve, but if it doesn't, I've already got a fluffy, Castle-like show in Private Eyes.

In theaters I recently saw Game Night after the great reviews. Jason Bateman doesn't play a jerk, but his character is super-competitive with his brother. There was some cringey humor in the beginning about sexual inadequacies, but once the game night got into full swing, things were more fun and lively. The twists were interesting, though I was kind of hoping I'd see a staircar during the airport scene. Too bad. Apparently I missed some after-credits scene with the Denzel Washington look alike, so I'll probably go see it again.

No comments: