Sunday, March 4, 2018

Oscars again

So apparently the Oscars are on tonight. I hope there will be some diverse winners, though I'm not sure that the expanded Academy membership will really result in radically different choices yet. Oscars are less white than before but they still snubbed a lot of deserving women and people of color. At least Casey Affleck withdrew from presenting, and some men are trying to show their support for TimesUp. Hollywood still has a long way to go regarding #MeToo and pay inequality; hopefully the sale of the Weinstein Company will be a step in the right direction.

Meanwhile, in the UK a bunch of teen activists remade some movie and TV posters with black casts. I appreciate that one of the teens mentioned other people of color: "it’s about making a black show. Or a southeast Asian show. Any person of colour should feel like they’re accurately represented in the media. It should be about making shows that are authentic to those people." I do wish there were more diversity in British shows. Last year I watched an interesting period show called The Indian Doctor, and there have been some movies about Indian history and the British Raj lately. But they could do more contemporary stories and I really want that British Chinese Wok show to become a real series.

I'm annoyed that Disney recently pushed Mulan's release date to 2020. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the delay since they only recently announced that they cast the lead. But it's still depressing. It's been so long since Asian Americans had any cultural phenomenon like The Joy Luck Club to be proud of, in the way that African Americans can be proud of Black Panther. So once again we wait, and still no news on an Anna May Wong biopic.

No comments: