Friday, January 29, 2021

Legacy

Cicely Tyson passed, and the world lost another cultural icon. Her new book just came out, and I recently watched an American Masters special featuring her and five other Black women entertainers who participated in the Civil Rights movement. Younger, contemporary stars like Halle Berry and Alicia Keys also speak about the six women's legacy. The documentary was called "How it feels to be free" and it might still be streaming on PBS's website. It was also based on a book.

I remember in school that we watched The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, and I was young enough not to know that the movie was fictional. I had some trouble hearing some of Jane's dialogue because she whisper spoke it, but nowadays I watched it with subtitles on HBO Max.

Meanwhile, there was some news about stock manipulation regarding GameStop and other companies. I've read a few explanations; it's something to do with "short squeeze," a tactic to counteract investors trying to do a "short sell." I don't really follow stocks that much, but I read that AMC's stock was also affected, and they took the opportunity to convert a lot of their debt. So now they are in a better position to survive until movies come back. That's an unexpected, but fortunate side effect.

No comments: